Well, this should be fun.
An amicable, edifying and ultimately futile debate (the sort The Hannibal Blog loves) in January, between, on one side:
- Kevin Starr, the preeminent historian of California (and a preferred source of mine), and (see Update below).
- Sharon Waxman, distinguished journalist and author,
- Bobby Shriver, Renaissance man and Kennedy/Schwarzenegger clan member, and
and, on the other side,
- Gray Davis, the former governor of California, and
- Van Jones, Obama’s former “green czar”, and
- Lawrence O’Donnell, cable-TV analyst and, more importantly, father of The West Wing, the most intelligent TV series ever.
My team will argue that, yes,
California is the first failed state.
The other guys will argue the opposite.
Then the audience will annoint the winners.
Feel free to suggest debate strategies/arguments (for either side!) in the comments.